In the main event of the 12-fight stacked card, Font, number 4 ranked bantamweight contender, opened strong but two-time former UFC featherweight champion and number 5 ranked Aldo scored a knockdown in the closing seconds of the first round.
The veteran UFC star gradually stormed forward with leg kicks, knockdowns and ground control over the remainder of the five round bout to once again showcase a legendary feat to secure a unanimous decision win for a future title shot.
After the fight, Aldo said: “This is the new Aldo you see. I trained for this. Everyone thinks I can only go three rounds, I proved I can go five. Rob Font was difficult, but nobody is going to to do.” stop me. I want to be the champion of this division and that’s what I’m working towards.”
In the co-main event, lightweight contenders No. 12-ranked Brad Riddell and No. 14-ranked Rafael Fiziev put in a high-level technically striking performance that was incredibly close over two rounds.
In the final third, Fiziev landed a spinning wheel kick to the head that knocked Riddell down and the referee called the fight to an end.
After the TKO win, Fiziev said: “I love him, he’s a good guy and a really nice person. I’ve learned from him before and today. I’ve waited three rounds for that moment because I know he’s letting his hand fall if he does way.
“There’s one legend here, maybe he wants to fight me: Vince Vaughn!” (Famous actor Vince Vaughn sat in the audience at the UFC Apex Arena.)
Also on the main card, light heavyweight #14 Jamahal Hill jumped over #13 Jimmy Crute with a fantastic KO in just 48 seconds.
Previously, veterans Clay Guida and Leonardo Santos delivered a thrilling back and forth first round, then Guida did the unthinkable and became the first person to subdue the jiu jitsu ace with a naked choke in the back of the second round.
Middleweight Chris Curtis took his second-in-a-row knockout win with stunning punches against Brendan Allen in the second round, while Alex Morono claimed a decision win against Mickey Gall in the weltherweight bout that opened up the main map.
Earlier in the preliminaries, the flyweight fight between Manel Kape and Zhalgas Zhumagulov opened with flaming fists; Kape was able to stay clear-headed and landed punches in bunches for a brilliant first round TKO finish.
Also winning decisions on the preliminary map were William Knight, Cheyanne Vlismas and Bryan Barberena, while Dusko Todorovic, Claudio Puelles and Vince Morales took the wins.
Final Results UFC Vegas 44
1. Bantamweight Fight: Jose Aldo defeated Rob Font via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 49-46)
2. Lightweight Combat: Rafael Fiziev defeated Brad Riddell via TKO (strikes) at 2:20 of round three
3. Lightweight Combat: Clay Guida defeated Leonardo Santos via submission (naked rear choke) at 1:21 of round two
4. Light Heavyweight Fight: Jamahal Hill defeated Jimmy Crute via knockout at :48 in the first round
5. Middleweight Fight: Chris Curtis defeated Brendan Allen via TKO (strikes) at 1:58 in round two
6. Welterweight Fight: Alex Morono defeated Mickey Gall by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
1. Middleweight Fight: Dusko Todorovic defeated Maki Pitolo via TKO (strikes) at 4:34 of the first round
2. Flyweight Fight: Manel Kape defeated Zhalgas Zhumagulov via TKO (strikes) at 4:02 in round one
3. Welterweight Fight: Bryan Barberena defeated Darian Weeks by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
4. Women’s Strawweight Contest: Cheyanne Vlismas defeated Mallory Martin by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
5. Light Heavyweight Fight: William Knight defeated Alonzo Menifield by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
6. Lightweight Combat: Claudio Puelles defeated Chris Gruetzemacher via submission (knee braces) at 3:25 of round three
7. Bantamweight Fight: Vince Morales defeated Louis Smolka via knockout at 2:02 in round one
UFC Vegas 44: Font vs. Aldo fight card, date, start time in India, broadcast and live streaming info
Exciting Bantamweight contenders to headline UFC Vegas 44
UFC Vegas 43 results and summary: Vieira dominates Tate as Brady decides Chiesa
UFC Vegas 43: Vieira vs. Tate fight card, date, India start time, broadcast and live streaming info
UFC Vegas 42 Results & Recap: Holloway Finishes Rodriguez While Rogerio De Lima Finishes Rothwell
Women’s Bantamweight showcase Vieira vs Tate headlines UFC Vegas 43
Max Holloway Named 2021 Forrest Griffin Community Award Recipient
UFC Vegas 42: Holloway vs. Rodriguez fight card, date, India start time, broadcast and live streaming info
Exciting Featherweight contenders compete in UFC Vegas 42 headliner
UFC Vegas 41 results and recap: Vettori beats Costa in classic 5-round brawl as Dawson-Glenn ends in a tie
UFC Vegas 41: Costa vs. Vettori fight card, date, start time in India, broadcast and live streaming info
UFC Vegas 40 Results and Recap: Dumont Outdoes Ladd; Arlovski dominates Felipe
Receive breaking news alerts.
You are already subscribed