Power outages caused problems for some Houston families preparing Thanksgiving meals.
People along Hill Country Drive near Conroe said they were without power for most of the day on Thursday.
“I was angry all day,” resident Mike Wahrenberger said. “Frustrated and angry.”
Wahrenberger didn’t hesitate about the impact the outage had on his family’s plans for a Thanksgiving midday meal.
“It flickered on and off a few times, you know, not more than a minute,” Wahrenberger said. “Long enough to get your hopes up and try to salvage everything you had left, or we start preparing again and it was just… it ended up ending and ruining everything, so we threw everything out.”
So what did they do instead?
“We went to Denny’s,” he said.
Entergy told KPRC 2 that lightning damaged some equipment in the area. Neighbors said power was restored around 5:15 PM
Other families also faced power issues during the vacation.
“I was like, ‘Oh my god! We’re 40 minutes into five hours of cooking this turkey, so how are we going to finish this?’” said Frank Essig, a homeowner who lives near Spring.
Essig said the lights went out around 10:40 a.m. after he had already loaded the turkey into the oven. Fortunately, he has a generator and the bird is saved. Essig eventually invited some other neighbors who had no power.
He called the outage a major inconvenience.
“The worst day you can think of to [have] something like this happens, but we just said, ‘let’s be thankful we’re all here, we’re all healthy, we’re blessed to be together and have this amazing holiday,’ said Essig.
CenterPoint Energy said strong winds came through the area in the morning, shutting down two primary lines.
Essig received a message around 4:45 pm that his power supply had been restored
Copyright 2021 by KPRC Click2Houston – All rights reserved.
If you ever win the lottery, you need to quickly put together a plan to stay healthy and have rich money conversations. News recommends that you start by staying as anonymous as possible to avoid people, not to mention scammers coming out of the woodwork. To try and get a cut. Find a lawyer and advisor, preferably a certified financial planner who specializes in and works with people who suddenly find themselves in need of money. Consult your advisors before drawing the winning ticket. Hire a certified public accountant who can help you handle the taxes on your profits. Again, consult someone who handles large numbers. The lump sum or annual payments side is right for you, advises Forbes. You don’t make any major lifestyle changes during the 46 months after winning. Finally, get used to saying no, even to yourself.
A man from North Carolina accidentally bought 2 identical tickets – and won 2 jackpots
Updated: 11:49 CST December 5, 2021
A man from North Carolina wasn’t sure if he had bought a ticket to the Lucky for Life lottery, so he filled out the online form. whether I filled it in or not,” said Scotty Thomas, 49, of Fayetteville, according to the North Carolina Education Lottery. Related video above: What to do after winning the lottery “I went ahead and filled it in again and the the next morning my son asked why there were two different amounts listed. I realized, ‘I think I filled it in twice.’ “It turned out that he had won $25,000 for life every year with every ticket in the November 27 drawing. That prize is the second largest prize in the Lucky for Life drawing, according to the lottery, after a payout of $1,000 for life.” Tomas said. “It’s just a blessing.” Thomas, a dump truck driver, chose a $780,000 lump sum for both tickets, according to the lottery, rather than annual payments, saying he wanted to invest in his company, wanted to pay bills, help his family and maybe buy a house.After taxes, he made $551,851, the lottery said.
A North Carolina man wasn’t sure if he’d bought a ticket to the state’s Lucky for Life lottery draw, so he filled out the online form.
“I was just in bed watching a basketball game on TV and I couldn’t remember if I had filled it in or not,” said Scotty Thomas, 49, of Fayetteville, according to the North Carolina Education Lottery.
Related video above: What to do after winning the lottery
“I went ahead and re-entered it and the next morning my son asked why there were two different amounts listed. I realized, ‘I think I entered it twice.’”
As it turned out, he had won $25,000 for life every year with every ticket in the November 27 drawing. That prize is the second largest prize of the Lucky for Life drawing, according to the lottery, after a payout of $1,000 for life.
“When I realized I had won, I had to lie down on the floor because I really couldn’t believe it,” said Thomas. “It’s just a blessing.”
Thomas, a dump truck driver, opted for a lump sum of $780,000 for both tickets instead of annual payments, according to the lottery, saying he wanted to invest in his business, pay bills, help his family and maybe buy a house.
After taxes, he made $551,851, according to the lottery.
BHOPAL (Madhya Pradesh): Bhind Superintendent of Police Manoj Singh, who was recently transferred to Bhopal Police Headquarters, was given a warm farewell on Saturday night. He was asked to take a seat in a sedan chair, which the police officers carried on their shoulders. His video went viral on social media. Manoj Singh, a 2009 IPS officer, has been transferred to PHQ in Bhopal as an Assistant Inspector General of Police.
Police officials in Bhind district are reported to have organized a farewell party for Singh at a restaurant on the outskirts of Bhind late Saturday night. In addition to police officers, local residents, including journalists, were also invited.
When Singh reached the location, police officers had him sit in a sedan chair. They carried the palanquin on their shoulders to the slides. Newly appointed SP Bhind Shailendra Singh attended the farewell ceremony.
Although the state government said in its order it was an administrative transfer, the Confederation of All India Traders raised questions about Singh’s transfer, claiming that online shopping giant Amazon was behind the sudden transfer as Singh was about to take strict action against the transfer of Singh. Company.
Singh was investigating the marijuana smuggling case involving the online shopping website Amazon.
(To receive our E-paper on WhatsApp daily, please Click here. We allow sharing the PDF of the newspaper on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)
The Met Office predicts snow, rain and wind will hit parts of the UK in the coming days as 4,700 northern and Scottish homes are left without power after storm Arwen
Video not available
The video will play automatically soon8Cancel
UK weather: bursts of rain and strong storms expected
Wintery weather will blow up the UK for days, while thousands of Britons remain in darkness after Storm Arwen wreaked havoc on power supplies.
Snow is likely, according to the Met Office, as temperatures plunge into chilly single digits until next Wednesday and strong storms sweep across the northern and Scottish regions.
About 4,700 homes in northern England and Scotland are still without delivery – more than a week after the storm hit on Nov. 26, according to energy industry authorities.
With power still in the works, forecasters predict low temperatures between 4C (39F) and 6C (43F).
The Met Office expects “restless” weather, with snow in the Cairngorms and Northern Pennines overnight on Saturday before turning drier and less windy on Sunday.
But the temporary relief will stop Monday as a swath of rain and snow is expected in the second half of the day, along with more wind.
Tomorrow it will be dry, but from Monday it will be winter
From Tuesday, the UK will see continued wind, rain and snow – with a chance of more strong winds, although not as strong as Arwen, until Wednesday.
Simon Partridge, a meteorologist with the Met Office, said: “As for the process of reconnecting the power supplies and reaching remote areas, it’s not helpful – probably the best day tomorrow and probably the first half of Tuesday. , some decent conditions.
“Other than that, quite a bit of rain, some snow on the hills and fairly high winds – which certainly helps slow down the process of reconnecting supplies and reaching the more remote locations to cut trees and so on.
Yellow warnings have been issued for some parts of the UK
“It is certainly not ideal and in the higher places there will certainly be some snow in the coming days.”
The Met Office has also issued yellow weather warnings for rain in parts of the north east of England and a yellow snow warning for parts of south east Scotland.
The long delays have prompted energy regulator Ofgem to take enforcement action against network companies that failed to restore power to customers quickly enough after the storm.
It has also agreed with companies to lift the £700 limit on compensation that can be given to customers.
Parts of the north and Scotland were destroyed during Storm Arwen. plunged into darkness by power cuts
The change will allow those affected to claim £70 for any 12 hour period without power, after an initial £70 for the first 48 hours.
Chief executive Jonathan Brearley told the BBC Radio 4 programme: “We are very concerned about customers who have been without power for over a week.
“We want to establish the facts and make sure we understand what happened, whether the network companies have fulfilled their obligations. If not, we will take enforcement action.
People affected by the cuts can claim £70 for any 12-hour period without power
“We have clear expectations about how quickly they should get people back on the system.
“We recognize the challenging circumstances those companies are in. But what we expect from the network companies is to relentlessly connect people, but also provide support.”
He later told BBC Breakfast: “One thing we’ve already done is we’ve said to network companies, and they’ve agreed, they’ve lifted the cap on the fees they’ll give customers and they’ll make sure those customers will be compensated for everything they have been through.”
A Met Office meteorologist said the impending weather is “not ideal” for powering insulated homes again
The Ministry of Defense said 297 British Army and Royal Marine personnel are supporting civil authorities and carrying out door-to-door checks on vulnerable people in their homes and reassuring local communities.
Just days ago, Durham County Council issued a major incident alert after it was recorded that 6,500 homes were still living in darkness
Several schools in the area remain closed due to damage to buildings and lack of power, heating, electricity or working telephone lines. Chronicle Live reports.
A caravan site at Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland was one of the hardest hit areas – where several holiday homes were razed to the ground by the force of the 150km/h blast.