Connect with us

Uncategorized

HAVE Canceled Thanksgiving Day Parade in Downtown Houston Due to Weather

Published

on

HAVE Canceled Thanksgiving Day Parade in Downtown Houston Due to Weather

The HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade has been canceled for the second year. This time it’s because of the weather.

With storms and rain that the Houston area, the city announced that the event was over before it was set to begin at 9:00 am, despite the streets being packed with spectators and performers ready to go.

“While we are disappointed that we cannot begin the HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade, we will always be careful to ensure that our parade participants and customers are safe,” said Susan Christian, director of the Mayor’s Office. of Special Events and parade producer in a statement.

The Mayor’s Office for Special Events will refund the face value of tickets purchased through Etix.

Performers and organizers were rehearsing all day Wednesday, and many Houstonians were raving about this year’s Grand Marshal, Houstonian Dr. Peter Hotez.

dr. Hotez was also honored with a proclamation by Mayor Sylvester Turner declaring November 25 “Dr. Peter Hotez Day.”

hotez tweeted about the honor Thursday morning, he said he dedicated it to his “wonderful colleagues, health professionals, staff, scientists at our Texas Medical Center and Houston and Texas.

Last year the parade was also canceled due to the pandemic. The city opted for a food donation instead.

FOR THE LATEST NEWS UPDATES DOWNLOAD THE FOX 26 NEWS APP

The HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of the oldest Thanksgiving Day parades in the country.

“This has been a family tradition for 72 years, and in fact we have people who have participated come back as volunteers,” Christian told FOX 26 on Wednesday. “We also have generations of people who have made this their holiday tradition.”

For more information about the parade, including the parade route, click here

.

Uncategorized

CMA blocks Facebook takeover of GIF platform Giphy

Published

on

By

CMA blocks Facebook takeover of GIF platform Giphy

Facebook’s takeover of animated GIF platform Giphy will be blocked by Britain’s competition watchdog, it was reported Monday, which would mark the first time the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has put a brake on a Big Tech deal.

According to the Financial timesciting sources close to the matter, the CMA was preparing to roll back the deal after an investigation launched in June 2020.

Facebook’s parent company, which was recently renamed meta, agreed last May to buy Giphy in a deal reportedly worth $400 million.

The CMA had tentatively ruled in August that Meta should be forced to sell Giphy, arguing that Facebook already controlled between 40% and 50% of the UK display advertising market through its main platform and subsidiaries, including Instagram and whatsapp.

“While our investigation has raised serious competition concerns, these are tentative,” said study chairman Stuart McIntosh, at the time.

“We will now consult our findings before concluding our assessment.

“Should we conclude that the merger is detrimental to the market and social media users, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that people are protected.”

However, Meta has contested the CMA’s findings by accusing the regulator of “extraterritorial overrun” and “sending a chilling message” to entrepreneurs that they wouldn’t be able to sell start-ups.

“We disagree with the CMA’s preliminary findings, which we believe are not supported by the evidence,” Facebook said in August.

“As we have shown, this merger is in the best interest of people and businesses in the UK – and around the world – who use Giphy and our services.

“We will continue to work with the CMA to address the misconception that the deal hurts competition.”

However, the stakes were raised in October, when the CMA fined the Mets £50.5 million for a “major violation” of the requirement that Giphy be operated separately from the rest of the company for the duration of the investigation.

According to the watchdog, Meta “knowingly” refused to report compliance information to the CMA, leading to the largest-ever fine for such a violation.

.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

YouTube’s new terms and policies ask publishers to provide details under IT rules

Published

on

By

YouTube's new terms and policies ask publishers to provide details under IT rules

A YouTube channel that publishes news or current affairs programs must provide its details to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB), Google’s video platform has said in its updated Terms and Conditions, which will take effect from January 2022. .

In an email to Google users, YouTube said that according to Rule 5 of the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code Rules, 2021) Rules, 2021 “if you are a publisher of news or current affairs content, you are required to the details of your accounts on YouTube to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India”.

YouTube | .’s updated terms and conditions Source: YouTube

Rule 5 of the IT rules 2021, states that an intermediary who publishes news and current affairs content on a website, a mobile application or both “must provide the details of their user accounts on the services of such intermediary to the Ministry […]The section also says that publishers who have provided such information will receive a “publisher verification mark”.

The 2021 IT rules impose additional compliance requirements for key social media intermediaries such as Google in this case, as well as for publishing platforms across the spectrum, such as a digital news channel or an OTT platform. Recently, we’ve seen how non-compliance with IT rules has led to a months-long legal battle for Twitter. The rules are, in fact, being legally challenged in several of the country’s High Courts, with many arguing that they are unconstitutional and infringe on fundamental rights.

Instances where YouTube content is considered “illegal”

In the Upload content section of the Terms and Conditions, Google has identified instances where content would be considered “illegal under Indian law and the consequences when our systems identify such content”.

For example, YouTube said:

Advertisement. Scroll to read more.

  • The content you submit must not contain any third party intellectual property (such as copyrighted material) unless you have permission from that party.
  • A person or publisher is legally responsible for the content submitted to YouTube.
  • YouTube uses automated systems to analyze the video to help detect infringement and abuse, including spam and malware.

Meanwhile, the inclusion of the requirement to adhere to Section 5 of the 2021 IT Rules has drawn much criticism:

FAQs about IT rules on news publishers still leave questions unanswered

Recently, the Government of India published the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the 2021 IT Rules which was intended to provide clarity on the provisions of the rules. However, it left a number of questions unanswered. For example, here’s what the FAQ had to say in the context of news and current affairs publishers:

Evidence for news and current affairs publishers: The IT rules instruct intermediaries to publish a clear and concise statement informing publishers of news and current affairs content that they must provide details of their user accounts on intermediary platforms to the ministry in order to obtain a verification mark that is visible. is for all users.

Advertisement. Scroll to read more.

  • What needs to be addressed: The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has not explained whether a contractual statement that a publisher has provided details is sufficient or is actual evidence that the intermediary needs to provide a quality mark.

Indian government approves self-regulatory bodies for news and current affairs publishers

The Indian Digital Publishers Content Grievance Council (IDPCGC) was approved in October 2021 as a Level II self-regulatory body for publishers of news and current affairs content under the Information Technology (IT) Rules, 2021, according to a notification on the MIB website.

Other than IDPCGC, there are only three SRBs listed on the MIB website:

  • Web Journalist Standards Authority
  • News Broadcasters Federation – Professional News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBF-PNBSA)
  • Council for complaints about content from digital publishers

The IT Rules, 2021 established a grievance mechanism consisting of a three-tier structure for news and curated content publishers.

  • Level I- Self-regulation by the publishers;
  • Level II- Self-regulation by the self-regulatory bodies of the publishers;
  • Level III Supervision Mechanism by the Central Government

Also read:

Do you have something to add? Post your comment and give someone a MediaNama subscription.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Sainsbury’s Ties With Amazon To Open Checkout-Free Store

Published

on

By

Sainsbury's Ties With Amazon To Open Checkout-Free Store

Sainsbury’s has partnered with Amazon to open a store where customers can pick up items and leave without having to use a cash register.

It opened store Monday in Holborn, central London, meters away from comparable Amazon and Tesco checkout-free stores.

Sainsbury’s uses Amazon’s Just Walk Out technology for the store, Amazon’s first partnership with a third-party international customer for the technology.

It is currently used in eight Amazon Fresh stores in London, as the retail giant continues to expand its physical operations.

SmartShop Holborn Circus

Store near Sainsbury HQ was previously open to staff in a lawsuit (Sainsbury’s/PA)

The Sainsbury’s store will see customers use the SmartShop app when entering the store, before picking up items and leaving, as cameras are used to recognize which products have been purchased before customers are charged with their credit or debit cards attached to the store. account is linked.

The new store will be on the site of Sainsbury’s first cashier-free store, which opened in 2019.

However, the grocery group ended the trial months later after complaints from shoppers who found the shopping experience difficult.

The UK’s second-largest grocer said it has recently grown in popularity for its SmartShop app, boosting sales by 173% year-over-year.

Clo Moriarty, Sainsbury’s Retail and Digital Director, said: “We are always looking for new ways to make shopping easy and convenient for our customers.

“We are excited to launch ‘SmartShop Pick & Go’, which will allow our customers to shop contactless and without a checkout, and we look forward to hearing their feedback.”

Dilip Kumar, Amazon’s vice president of physical retail and technology, said: “We are excited to partner with Sainsbury’s to enable their Holborn Circus checkout-free supermarket powered by our Just Walk Out technology.

“We are delighted to bring Just Walk Out technology to our first international customer with Sainsbury’s.

“Without cash registers, tills and self-service scanners, we can’t wait to hear how busy Londoners are enjoying the experience.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.