Facebook has told employees to “keep internal documents and communications since 2016” pertaining to its companies as governments and lawmakers have launched investigations into its activities, according to a company email sent Tuesday evening.
The move, known as a “legal withholding,” follows intense media, legal and regulatory scrutiny of the social network’s damage. Lawmakers and the public join the fray after Frances Haugen, a former Facebook employee turned whistleblower, provided thousands of internal documents to lawmakers and the media showing how much the company knew about some of its ill effects, such as spreading falsehoods. information and worsening body image problems in some teens.
Those files, known as the Facebook Papers, were initially published by The Wall Street Journal.
“As you probably know, we are currently the focus of extensive media coverage based on a series of internal documents,” Facebook said in the email to employees obtained by The New York Times. “As is often the case with this kind of reporting, a number of investigations have been launched by governments and lawmakers into the company’s activities.”
In the Facebook Papers, business researchers debated how to solve many of the problems that have arisen in some of their products over the years. Over time, Facebook’s core features — like likes, shares, groups, recommendations — were not only used to expand the business, but were manipulated by some to harm users, it turns out. from the documents. Many Facebook employees struggled to contain the fallout, according to the documents.
Ms. Haugen has filed whistleblower complaints with the Securities and Exchange Commission. She also testified in Congress this month and spoke to British lawmakers on Monday.
A Facebook spokeswoman confirmed that legal custody was sent to employees on Tuesday evening, but declined to comment on the cause of the action. “Requests to keep documents are part of the process of responding to legal investigations,” she said.
Facebook has previously issued legal instructions to employees. Last year, after the Federal Trade Commission and prosecutors sued Facebook for illegally crushing its competitors, the company advised employees not to discuss issues related to the lawsuit and required them to follow online training courses understand competitive compliance policies.
The company is also involved in an investigation into online advertising price-fixing with Google as part of an antitrust lawsuit against the search giant brought by 10 prosecutors last year.
Facebook has also tried to curb employee leaks. This month, it told employees it would make internal groups that focus on platform and election security private. That would make it harder for them to see discussions on those topics and limit participation.
Understand the Facebook Papers
A tech giant in trouble. The leak of internal documents by a former Facebook employee has provided an intimate look at the secretive social media company’s operations and renewed calls for better rules for the company’s broad reach in the lives of its users.
“These are the actions of a company trying to resist scrutiny, not embrace transparency,” Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat who led a Senate subcommittee to Facebook, wrote in a letter to Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook, on the action .
In Tuesday’s email, Facebook told employees to keep everything since January 1, 2016. It also advised them to keep encrypted messages and noted that they should stay away from ephemeral messages for work purposes until further notice.
There was no “specific action” at this time, the email said, but employees are not allowed to discuss or post about legal hold anywhere on Workplace, the company’s internal bulletin board.
According to the email, not all aspects of Facebook’s business were bound by the legal hold. The company told employees that documents related exclusively to WhatsApp, the messaging service; Spark AR, the augmented reality studio; and the New Product Experimentation group, an in-house incubator, were excluded from the legal hold.
“You don’t need to keep any documents or communications that are solely about WhatsApp as a business product,” the email reads. “You should keep all WhatsApp messages related to other topics.”
Facebook Messenger gets a new bill splitting feature
Meta (formerly Facebook) has introduced a new feature called “Split Payments” on Facebook Messenger.
As the name implies, the new feature allows you to easily share costs with your friends and family for free – be it a restaurant bill or a house rent.
To split the bill, all you need to do is click the “Get Started” button in a group chat or the Payments Hub in Messenger. You can then split the bill equally among the group or change the amount of the contribution for each individual, with or without yourself.
After that, enter a personal message and confirm your Facebook Pay details, and your request will be sent to the group, visible to everyone in the chat thread.
Meta will begin testing the new feature in the US next week, but it’s unclear when it will expand to other regions.
In addition to introducing the bill-splitting feature, Meta has also added four new AR-based group effects to Facebook Messenger, created in collaboration with King Bach, Emma Chamberlain, Bella Poarch, and Zach King. You can view them below.
The company also reminds us of a new chat theme and two recently launched sound mojis for fans of Stranger Things, and a new sound moji released to celebrate Taylor Swift’s new album “Red.”
UK weather: Snow forecast by Met Office as thousands without power
According to the Met Office, snow, rain and wind will sweep through parts of the UK in the coming days, with thousands of homes still waiting to be reconnected to power after Storm Arwen.
About 4,700 homes in northern England and Scotland are still without delivery — more than a week after the storm hit on Nov. 26, according to the industry association Energy Networks Association (ENA).
Boris Johnson said on Saturday that he has called those who led the response to Storm Arwen, adding that he remains “concerned” that thousands of homes are still without power.
In a tweet, the prime minister said the government is ready to further support the recovery work “in any way possible”.
With power recovery still underway, forecasters predict low temperatures between 4C (39F) and 6C (43F) for the next few days, accompanied by some gale-force winds for the region.
The Met Office expects to see “restless” weather, with snow in the Cairngorms and Northern Pennines overnight Saturday before turning drier and less windy on Sunday.
But the temporary relief will stop Monday as a swath of rain and snow is expected in the second half of the day, along with more wind.
From Tuesday, the UK will see continued wind, rain and snow – with a chance of more strong winds, although not as strong as Arwen, until Wednesday.
Simon Partridge, a meteorologist with the Met Office, said: “As for the process of reconnecting power and getting to remote areas, it’s not helpful – probably the best day tomorrow and probably the first half of Tuesday. , some decent conditions.
“Other than that, quite a bit of rain, some snow on the hills and fairly high winds – which certainly helps slow down the process of reconnecting supplies and reaching the more remote locations to cut trees and so on.
“It is certainly not ideal, and at the higher locations there will certainly be some snow in the coming days.”
The Met Office has also issued yellow weather warnings for rain in parts of the north east of England and a yellow snow warning for parts of south east Scotland.
The long delays have prompted energy regulator Ofgem to take enforcement action against network companies that failed to restore power to customers quickly enough after the storm.
It has also agreed with companies to lift the £700 limit on compensation that can be given to customers.
The change will allow those affected to claim £70 for any 12 hour period without power, after an initial £70 for the first 48 hours.
Chief executive Jonathan Brearley told the BBC Radio 4 programme: “We are very concerned about customers who have been without power for over a week.
“We want to establish the facts and make sure we understand what happened, whether the network companies have fulfilled their obligations. If not, we will take enforcement action.
“We have clear expectations about how quickly they should get people back on the system.
“We recognize the challenging circumstances those companies are in. But what we expect from the network companies is to relentlessly connect people, but also provide support.”
He later told BBC Breakfast: “One thing we’ve already done is we’ve said to network companies, and they’ve agreed, they’ve lifted the cap on the fees they’ll give customers and they’ll make sure those customers will be compensated for everything they have experienced.”
The Ministry of Defense said 297 British Army and Royal Marine personnel are supporting civil authorities and carrying out door-to-door checks on vulnerable people in their homes and reassuring local communities.
A raft in rough weather – This is how this philanthropist from Tiruchy conquers hearts
Express News Service
TIRUCHY: The sun is finally coming through the thick clouds in Tiruchy, but CK Anand is still busy. His phone never stopped ringing, as many of the city’s side roads were flooded from the recent downpour that completely submerged the city. It can be an urgent call to ask for a boat; someone who asks for a quick delivery of some vegetables or medicine; it could be a toddler crying over chocolate.
Anand is in his late thirties and leads a group of volunteers, who provide essential assistance 24 hours a day to people living in swampy areas. Their day starts at 7 in the morning and lasts until after midnight, especially the last days.
A few days ago, when gray clouds hung over the city, Anand received a call: a few people were stranded in low-lying areas of Lingam Nagar, Arul Nagar, Selvam Nagar, Rajalakshmi Nagar in Woraiyur, and needed some food. He gathered a few boys from his area and rushed to the affected areas with help.
“I have rented two boats from Mukkombu and people who can row them. I wanted to provide what people really needed in such difficult times. The first two days we shared the daily necessities such as milk, atta, maggi, semiya, bread, etc. We also distributed food and vegetables. We try to help as many people as possible’, says Anand.
With his own cable company, Anand goes the extra mile to help those around him. The compassionate three-year-old has earned a special place in people’s hearts. His philanthropic journey began during the Gaja Cyclone, Anand’s friends said, and has continued since. Residents of these places are full of praise for him. “Anand had also helped us during the lockdown.
A few months ago, he realized that there was a high risk of dengue and malaria in certain areas. He had mosquito nets installed in all households at his own expense. He has rescued more than 500 people in recent weeks,” a resident of Arul Nagar, Pugazh, told TNIE.
“We have seen three floods in the last month, but the last few days have been the worst. Anand and his team have worked tirelessly. They do what the government should do. They saved several lives.”
says Raj Mohamed, a resident of Selvam Nagar.
Even when talking to TNIE, he is busy with people around him. Every passerby stops to talk to him. Some asked him to deliver vegetables in their area, others just stopped to express their gratitude. The water has withdrawn from most side roads. But Anand is still busy. And he is just a phone call away.
Uncategorized2 weeks ago
Environmental DNA sequencing allows scientists to explore the diversity of Amazonian piscine without catching fish
Uncategorized4 weeks ago
Blog: 25 years later, is McDonald’s a success in India? | Opinion
Uncategorized1 month ago
Sikkim State Lottery Dear Respect Morning Results
Uncategorized4 weeks ago
Quebec City Council Elections Results: Valérie Plante Wins 2nd Term as Montreal Mayor – Montreal
Uncategorized1 month ago
Nagaland State Lottery Dear TESTA Morning
Uncategorized1 month ago
“Experience this!” lottery launched for CT scanner campaign
Uncategorized2 weeks ago
Karnataka UGCET 2021 Mock Seat Allocation Result Released. direct link
Uncategorized1 month ago
Alleged lottery thief charged with two crimes in Wyandotte – The News Herald